Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cobleland, pillbox 140m north east of

A Scheduled Monument in Trossachs and Teith, Stirling

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1595 / 56°9'34"N

Longitude: -4.3653 / 4°21'54"W

OS Eastings: 253200

OS Northings: 698831

OS Grid: NS532988

Mapcode National: GBR 0V.HWVM

Mapcode Global: WH3MN.XFGX

Entry Name: Cobleland, pillbox 140m NE of

Scheduled Date: 4 February 2003

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM10826

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: 20th Century Military and Related: Pillbox

Location: Port Of Menteith

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

The monument comprises a pillbox dating from the Second World War and visible as an upstanding building.

The pillbox stands at about 10m OD above the E bank of the River Forth, immediately W of a dismantled railway and the main A81 trunk road.

This Type 22 brick and concrete pillbox was built in 1940/41 as part of local defences protecting Cobleland Bridge, 100m to the SW, and the site of a former road and rail bridge 20m to the NE. The largest of the seven gun ports face in these directions.

The entrance is on the WNW side. During the war, the nearby Gartmore Station (now Station Cottage) handled munitions; the policies of Gartmore House, 1.4km to the SSW, were utilised as an ammunitions dump; and Gartmore House itself and the village hall (formerly a disused church) were used as barracks and the officers' mess. Few pillboxes were built in this area of West Stirlingshire and Perthshire, as they did not form part of the main coastal anti-invasion defences.

This hexagonal building has measures 4.8m across externally (maximum) and stands 2.8m high with walls 0.6m thick. It survives to its full height and its roof is intact, although some of the upper courses of brickwork are beginning to deteriorate.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the pillbox and an area around it within which related evidence is likely to survive. It is circular in shape with a diameter of 6.8m, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a well-preserved example of a single-period World War II building, typical of Britain's defences. It is a rare feature in this locality of West Stirlingshire, as few pillboxes were constructed inland in central Scotland; a comparable example seems to have been demolished in about 1980. Its significance is enhanced given the availability of documentary evidence and oral testimony. The pillbox has the potential to contribute to our understanding of this period.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS 59 NW 23.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.