Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ditch, 343yds (310m) ENE of East Farm Cottages to 800yds (730m) north west of St Martin's Chapel

A Scheduled Monument in Dinton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1146 / 51°6'52"N

Longitude: -1.9852 / 1°59'6"W

OS Eastings: 401133.516791

OS Northings: 135037.035849

OS Grid: SU011350

Mapcode National: GBR 2XY.2XS

Mapcode Global: VHB5M.J7WW

Entry Name: Ditch, 343yds (310m) ENE of East Farm Cottages to 800yds (730m) NW of St Martin's Chapel

Scheduled Date: 21 April 1956

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005606

English Heritage Legacy ID: WI 455

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Dinton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Middle Wylye Valley

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Summary

Part of a linear boundary called Grim’s Ditch 605m north of Oakley Farm.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 21 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument, which falls into three areas, includes part of the linear boundary which extends for at least 6.5km aligned roughly west to east over rolling downland countryside running parallel to and overlooking the distant Wylye Valley to the north. The linear boundary survives differentially throughout its length as either: a ditch; a ditch with one bank; or a medial ditch between two banks and although the dimensions vary as widely as the preservation, the average ditch width is 5m wide and 0.5m deep and where applicable the northern bank is up to 4m wide and the southern 4.5m wide. In the past it was defined as being of early medieval origin because it is mentioned in Anglo Saxon land charters (the earliest dates to 956 AD), but it is cut in at least six places by Roman roads thus indicating it is a much earlier land or territorial boundary with prehistoric origins. It has subsequently been reused to define many parish boundaries. Further sections are scheduled separately.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number, density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of henge monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important remains include a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory and into the Romano-British and medieval periods. This high level of survival of archaeological remains is due largely to the later history of the Chase. Cranborne Chase formed a Royal Hunting Ground from at least Norman times, and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from associated laws controlling land-use which applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much attention over the years, notably during the later 19th century, by the pioneering work on the Chase of General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward Cunnington, often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology. Archaeological investigations have continued throughout the 20th century and to the present day. Linear boundaries are substantial earthwork features comprising single or multiple ditches and banks which may extend over distances of less than 1km to over 10km. They survive as earthworks or as linear features visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, or as a combination of both. The evidence of excavation and study of associated monuments demonstrate that their construction spans the millennium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been reused later. The scale of many linear boundaries has been taken to indicate that they were constructed by large social groups and were used to mark important boundaries in the landscape, their impressive scale displaying the corporate prestige of their builders. They would have been powerful symbols, often with religious associations, used to define and order the territorial holdings of the groups responsible for their construction. Linear earthworks occur quite widely across parts of Cranborne Chase and together, these are of considerable importance for the analysis of settlement and land use in the Bronze Age. All well-preserved examples are important. The part of a linear boundary called Grim’s Ditch 605m north of Oakley Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, maintenance, longevity, the social organisation of the builders, its subsequent re-use and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape 1065699; Wiltshire HER ST93NE612, ST93SE603, SU03NW631 and SU03SW603

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.